You are here:

Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What kind of Mite is this?



Is this a Bird, Rodent or Clover Mites? Found inside kitchen bay window. Threw away all my indoor plants, but still feel something biting us. Do these mites bites and burrow under skin and scalp? Experiencing something that leaps or flys and burrows that can't be seen just felt. I have also found Thrips and springtails inside too, some with fuzzy hairs. Please let me know what kind of mites these are, and how do I get rid of them? Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
God bless,

Pictures taken with microscopic camera.

Picture taken with a microscopic camera.

  Hi Trisha
The photos you sent appear to be rodent mites and they do bite. They also could be bird mites. Clover mites do not bite. Rodent mites cannot burrow under the skin and do not invade the scalp.  Too get rid of them you will have to find out where they are coming from.  Is there a birds nest outside your bay window. These mites can crawl under the window. Check the window sill. If you see mites there take bar of soap and rub it into the window crack. I f you have a nest there remove it. If you think you may have house mice set some traps.
Keep me informed

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Walter Hintz


I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.


I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ

©2017 All rights reserved.