Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug Id Needed

Question
Pic of bug
Pic of bug  

2nd pic of bug
2nd pic of bug  
I made cookies and when I returned to the kitchen to clean the bowl this bug was on the floor. It then took flight and landed on my beaters in my mixing bowl. It was about 4pm, still sunny outside. The shape of the wings have me freaked out that it may be a cockroach, but the pattern on the wings didn't look right out to me. It appeared to be black color. I live in the Midwest and would really appreciate help identifying this insect.

Answer
Hi, Alyssa:

Good news:  No worries!

The insect in your image is a type of "sawfly," a stingless wasp in the family Tenthredinidae, genus Dolerus .  I collected several of these when I lived in Cincinnati.  Here's more about them:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/13561

Their larvae look like caterpillars of butterflies or moths, and most feed on grasses (a few on primitive plants called horsetails).

The adults do not sting and are completely harmless.

Cheers,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton