Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Ladybugs info

I took in five ladybugs for the winter. They are nice and warm in my apt - I kept them in a little tiny box and covered the box with material.  

However, when do they wake up, how will I know when they do and when should I release them.  And do I feed them before?  Can I give them one raisin to feed on?

Welcome back, glad you are still caring for the ladybug beetles. They can be released as soon as they start moving. Give them access to water rather than food, they won't eat raisins. For some general information about these beetles see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/harmonia.html.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology