Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Looks like a bedbug but has wings

Image 1
Image 1  

Image 2
Image 2  

I found this bed in my bed today (under the sheets as I was removing them to wash). I don't think it's a bedbug as I found it in the middle of the day, there are no other signs in/around the bed, and it has wings (not sure if it can fly, but I have seen it flapping its wings and it has a clear ridge down its back), but I'm still worried as I haven't been able to figure out what else it might be. It has six legs and antennae (may not be visible in the pictures).

Thank you

Thank you for including the images.

Your bug is an adult carpet beetle (family Dermestidae).  Here is more information:

Carpet beetle larvae feed on dry products of animal origin (cured meats, taxidermy mounts, furs, woolens, silks, dry pet food, the shed hair and skin flakes of people and pets, etc.  The adult beetles don't feed much, but often seek pollen and nectar of flowers outdoors.

Keeping your home clean of accumulating shed hair and skin flakes from people and pets always helps.  Storing dry food (including dry pet food) in glass, metal, or durable plastic containers with tight-fitting lids is essential.  Put woolens and furs in a cedar chest.

Do NOT use chemical controls.  Mothballs (naphthelene) are ineffective and moth crystals (paradicholorobenzene) are potentially carcinogenic.

Hope the above links and information help.  Simply discard any infested items.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.