Entomology (Study of Bugs)/black widow spider bite

Question
Hi, i was bitten by a black widow as a 5 year old child.  I am now 68 years old.  I have been plagued 2 times by bird mites infesting my apartments (moved from the first one) and biting me and greatly affecting my quality of life. I know that bird mites are anthropods and are 8 legged  like spiders.  Do you think there is a connection as to being bitten and tormented by these mites having had a spider bite?  They affect no one but me!   I have tried everything to get rid of them and have been fighting them this time for over a year.  Please advise as I am desperate for an answer.   I have no image, but they said I almost died after being bitten.  That was 63 years ago!!

Answer
Shirley,

I really don't think there's any connection between the spider bite and what you are experiencing now. In fact, are you confident that bird mites are causing the problem at all? Usually when only one person in a household experiences "bug bites" it turns out that the real cause is something else, often allergies. Allergies that cause skin lesions, like some food and respiratory allergies, can be easily mistaken for bites. See http://www.livingwithbugs.com/unknown_bug_bites.html for a list of insects and mite that bite plus some things that can be mistaken for bug bites. Bird mites don't infest homes over long periods of time so I think something else is causing this. Post a follow up if you have questions after looking over the page cited above.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis