Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What bug (or fly) is it?

mystery Bee Mimic
mystery Bee Mimic  
Frazier Park CA
34.82N 118.96W (Elev. 4997 ft

between 2-3 pm

found it where photographed on a flowering broccoli plant(I think hiding from rain)it stayed there for an hour while I worked--never moved even when I handled the pant

Yes, that is a syrphid fly.  It appears to be a gravid (egg-laden) female, or a specimen that has been attacked by a fungus and is now bloated with spores.

would be my guess for genus, but it is very difficult to tell from just the one image.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.