Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug ID

Question
Cute Bug
Cute Bug  
April 19th 2016 around 3:00pm Trainer Pennsylvania
I was washing my bathtub and this Bug flew through the window and right into the water! But it does not swim. I saved it and let it dry a bit before nicely placing it back outside. Someone said that its a June Bug but I want an expert opinion lol and what that thing is on it rear!!
I find it cute, and would have love to show the kids, but didn't want to risk it just In case it may not be safe. Hope you can give an answer and thank you!!!

Answer
Hi, Samantha:

Thank you for including the nice image.

Your critter is a "Margined Carrion Beetle,"

http://bugguide.net/node/view/6775

The "thing on its rear" *is* its rear!  The tip of the abdomen is projecting beyond the tip of the wing covers (elytra), pretty typical of carrion beetles.

I guess you haven't buried the body yet...;-)  LOL!

Thank you for your curiosity and taking the time to write.  Have a great week!

Cheers,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton