Entomology (Study of Bugs)/ID Required

Question
Big Hairy Arachnid
Big Hairy Arachnid  
QUESTION: G'day Jack,
I live in the Sussex Inlet on the south coast of New South Wales in Australia. I found this spider walking on the concrete path in my backyard & can't seem to identify it correctly. It's about 10mm from fangs to spinnerets. I'd love some help here if possible please.

ANSWER: Adam,

Wow, those are nasty looking fangs! First, I'm certainly no expert on Australian spiders so take what follows with a grain of salt. However, that said, you have a particularly dangerous funnel-web spider called the Sydney funnel web (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_funnel-web_spider) in your area and this looks a bit like the pictures I've seen. The fangs alone lead me to think this is that spider. You might try googling that name and look at images for comparison. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Jack DeAngelis

Spurs on Palps
Spurs on Palps  
QUESTION: Thanks Jack. I should mention I've been a licensed pest technician here for many years. That said, I am no expert, but would love to share what I've gleaned.
The Sydney funnelweb spider (Atrax robustus) has long spinnerets whereas this specimen has short spinnerets. The funnelweb also has spurs on the 2nd pair of legs. This beast has spurs on its palps but none on the legs (see pic). It 'looks' more like the Northern Rivers funnelweb (Hadronyche formidabilis) but we are on the south coast - 100s of kilometres from their known locations. I would really like to follow through on this. Thanks for any & all assistance, Jack.
Adam Woszatka

Answer
Adam,

Clearly you know a lot more about these spiders than I do! Unfortunately I don't know any spider experts in Australia but I do know an acrologist (mites) by the name of Dave Walter (https://uofa.ualberta.ca/biological-sciences/faculty-and-staff/adjunct/david-walter). You might contact him and he might be able to connect you with someone at the museum. If you contact Dave please tell him hello from me, we were graduate students together many years ago. Again, sorry I can be more help.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis