Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Unknown Insect.

Question
QUESTION: I opened a box and a 3 plus inch florescent blue winged insect flew out and flew itself into the gap between the roof tile. This was in Fallbrook California What could this be?

ANSWER: Nate:

I can think of several possibilities, most of which are solitary wasps.  You don't mention where the *box* was from, or whether you are talking about something that was in storage, mailed to you, or whatever.  All of those kinds of things matter.

That said, without seeing at least an image of the critter, it is pretty much impossible to make a definitive identification.

There are about 90,000 species of insects in North America alone, so you can imagine how hard it is to narrow the suspect list with such limited information.

Eric

QUESTION: Eric: I have a Branch 1,2,3 License in Pest Control. Even this critter we have talked about gave me goose bumps. The box came from the East Coast which was a Vox Amplifer that originated from South Korea.

Answer
Nate:

Well, we still don't have an image of the thing (understandably so), but the thing that seems closest to your description is this:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/5530

Not quite three inches, but still a damn big, intimidating wasp.  It could also potentially be this:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/122946

That species is probably confined to southern California desert areas, though.

Those are the only two suspects I can think of off the top of my head.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton