Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What is this

Question
Black bug
Black bug  
I found this bug crawling on my kitchen counter. It's maybe around the size of a penny in Northeast Ohio

Answer
Hi, Hayley:

Thank you for including the image with your question.

The insect is called a "click beetle," one of many, many species in the family Elateridae:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/115

These beetles fly well and are often attracted to lights at night.  They frequently come indoors through open doors, windows, cracks and crevices.  They are harmless.

Grab one and it may easily slip through your fingers as they are sometimes covered in slippery scales or hairs, or are so smooth and bullet-shaped they defy gripping.  They can also snap a spine into a groove on their "chest," making the "clicking" sound that gives them their name.  This maneuver can often startle or jar a predator into releasing the insect.

The clicking trick can also propel a beetle into the air if it is belly-up.  A couple clicks and it can flip itself over.

Thanks for sharing your discovery.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton