Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Assassin Bug?

Question
Zoomed Picute
Zoomed Picute  

Relative size
Relative size  
Hello Mr Eaton,

This big guy has been hanging out on my deck. I believe he is some sort of assassin bug. We had a few last season as well, although they were mostly nymphs.

We have a one year old, two dogs and a cat. The over protective mom in me wants verification from an expert that these are not kissing bugs, as I believe they are not. I think we can all co-exist as long as they aren't Putting my family at risk for disease (as I've read on some very scary pages about kissing bugs).

We live in central Maryland and these pictures were taken today (May 2016).

Thank you so much for your help!
Emma

Answer
Hi, Emma:

The insect in your images is a type of leaf-footed bug in the family Coreidae.  Specifically, it is likely Acanthocephala terminalis .  Here's more about it:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/16391

Leaf-footed bugs are more closely-related to stink bugs than to assassin bugs ("kissing bugs" are in the assassin bug family).  The leaf-footed bugs are harmless.

Your risks from kissing bugs are pretty remote unless you live in a rural area in Maryland.  There is a LOT of hysteria going around on the internet, so you have to consider the sources.  Much profit is to be made from scare tactics.  Here is my unbiased blog post:

http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2015/11/new-report-on-chagas-disease-causes.html

May you and your family sleep well tonight, and enjoy the insect fauna that lives with you on your property.  Thank you for your question!

Sincerely,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton