Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Beetle insect ID inquiry

Question
Bug found 5/25
Bug found 5/25  
Hi Eric I was refereed to you after posting a question to a different "ask an expert" type page. Here is my original message:

Some friends and I were hiking around the Mt Hood [Oregon] area, off the Mt hood freeway I believe. We came across a very fast moving beetle like insect (it was wingless from what I could tell) It wouldn't stay still enough to get a picture but we have video of it. The attached picture is screenshots of the video my friend took so they are kind of blurry. Is there someone that might be able to help ID it? Mostly we are curious what it is because we don't know much about insects and always like to learn!

Oh I should also add it was last week so late May. Thanks in advance!

Answer
Hi, Alycia:

Thanks for including the images, which are fine for what you are asking....

This is a "snail-eating beetle," Scaphinotus angusticollis .  It is a very common, flightless beetle in the conifer forests there.  I grew up in Portland and saw them many times.  Here is more about it:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/31166

and, even better:

http://crawford.tardigrade.net/bugs/BugofMonth29.html

Thank you for being curious, and sharing your adventures and discoveries. :-)

Cheers,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton