Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Identify beetle species/type

Beetle- pink side
Beetle- pink side  

I'm hoping you can help identify what type of beetle I found in my window? I live in Essex County, Massachusetts, United States. It is either black or brown in color; about an in or so in length and has what appears to be some pinkish coloring on the part in between the head and body (pronotum?). I never saw this particular beetle and am wondering what it is and if there is cause for concern? I have attached an image for reference. Thank you in advance!

ANSWER: Dear Melissa - This appears to be a net-winged beetle (Coleoptera: Lycidae); it resembles some species in the genus Plateros - see for an example. These are close relatives of fireflies, but they lack the light-producing organ.

Hope this helps,

I think I found it online. It resembles more the Podabrus rugosulus. Please let me know if you agree.

Dear Melisa - I believe you are more correct - when I looked at your image, I imagined that I saw more reticulations/striae on the wing covers (elytra) than there actually were, and that is why I felt it more likely to be a net-winged beetle. Knowing that there are Cantharids that can have a very similar appearance, I should have taken the time to have done a more thorough comparison. My apologies for the confusion,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.