Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Insect bite

Hi Walter, I'm not sure if you can answer this type of question but thought I'd give it a try. So, I was outside when I was bitten by something, but did not see what it was. All I know is that a few minutes later there was a small spot on my ankle that was itching and stinging a little bit. I didn't think much about it at first, I went back inside and was cleaning when it started stinging more. I sat down to take a look at it and it was a round area that was red on the outside and a small dark bruise looking spot in the center. It has swollen a little as well. I couldn't see the actual bite, just the reaction to it. I put some insect bite relief stuff on there. After a little while the swelling went down and the red went away, but it left what looks like a bruise about the size of a nickel. This happened on Thursday night and the bruise is still there. Just a bit worried because I've never had a reaction like that to anything. I also made the mistake of doing an internet search for spider bites and found brown recluse bite pictures. My question is should I be worried or go to the doctor about this? Plus I'd like to know what bit me.

Hi Courtney
 First of all this basically a medical problem and I am not an MD so I cannot speak to any diagnosis nor medical treatment. I think we can rule out a brown recluse spider bite for  a couple of reasons. It would be unusual to find this spider outside in the open They are usually hidden and bite when disturbed or you come in direct contact with them. Also you would have more swelling and an open wound. Some spider bites have a target appearance. It seems like your bite is fading. If it gets painful or the swelling  returns the you should probably see a doctor. I am sure we will never know what bit you

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ