Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Please help identify this bug

Question
Unknown bug
Unknown bug  
QUESTION: I have been really concerned about kissing bugs since there was an article about them being in our area. We live in VA near the Pamunky River. This bug was in my house, can you please identify it? It was in the sink on the dirty dishes, it was maybe an eighth of an inch long.

ANSWER: Rich:

Your image is of a larva of a lady beetle, probably Harmonia axyridis .  Looks like it had a bad molt from a previous larva stage (opaque coating is part of a shed exoskeleton).

Kissing bugs.  Here is more information:

http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2015/11/new-report-on-chagas-disease-causes.html

This is still largely an issue from Mexico southward.

Eric

QUESTION: Hi Eric- thanks for your quick response and thorough answer. The article you linked was helpful and made me feel a bit silly about my kissing bug concerns. I still don't generally know one bug from another, so may be back for
More bug identification :) great volunteer service you offer- thanks again!

Answer
You are most welcome, and thank you for the compliments.

NO question is "silly," no concerns are invalid.  No one can know everything, and when there is profit to be made from scare tactics, the media is quick to oblige.

Carry on.

Cheers,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton