Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Stinging bug

I live in northwest AZ. On the way home from Kingman to Dolan Springs, AZ There was a swam of these bugs. They are thinner than a pencil slender about 2-4 inches long, has transparent wings and a black line around the bottom edge. The top has yellow circle about 1 inch. I was stung by this and got the stinger out. The stinger was the very thinnest possible black maybe 1/8 long or smaller. The pain stopped but the redness is still there. Pain made my whole arm hurt, burn, sting. I started getting stomach cramps but it went away after got stinger out. Now the next morning there is a red circle around where the sting was. I have drawn a circle around it and it burns and stings.
I am allergic to a bee sting and have stopped breathing. I carry epi- pen with me all the time. Please tell me what is the name of bug if possible Thank you

Can you post a picture, this description does not match any insects I'm familiar with. Sounds like it was some kind of wasp, possibly a tarantula hawk (http://www.desertusa.com/insects/tarantula-hawks.html) but these wasps don't occur in swarms normally.

Jack DeAngelis  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology