Entomology (Study of Bugs)/1000s of brown iridescent eggs

Question
Hi

I live across from a creek on the Delaware Bay in New Jersey.
I was under my house yesterday on my knees in the sand crawlspace. At one point the sand gave way under my knee, only to reveal a massive pile of tiny brown iridescent eggs. (I assume they are eggs.) They were smaller than the head of a pin and perfectly round. There were hundreds and hundreds of them. Any idea what they might be?

Many many thanks
erin

Answer
Dear Erin - Without being able to see an image of your mystery objects, I am hesitant to even guess at what they might be. I cannot think of anything right off that might lay such a large mass of eggs in the situation you describe. You might try submitting a sample of them to your nearest office of Rutgers University Cooperative Extension Service to see if anyone there might be of assistance; see https://njaes.rutgers.edu/county/ for contact information.
Sorry not to be of more immediate assistance,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad