Entomology (Study of Bugs)/2nd try

Question
small brown bug
small brown bug  

another view
another view  
Hey Eric,
Sorry to have to ask my question again.  I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to bugs.  We are experiencing these small brown bugs.  They can fly, but generally don't.  I'm attaching a pic because I don't know how best to describe them.

They are about 1/16 inch long.  The one in the pic is on a piece of masking tape.  They seem to like moisture, but I don't think that is their only motivator.

We find them on the bathroom floor and walls.  We find them on bedroom walls.  On the floor.  They occasionally land on us.  Sometimes I find them on an outlet plate.  They fly, but usually crawl.  

I found three in my hand lotion cap.  I found some between blank pieces of xerox paper.

We started seeing them about two weeks ago.  We see them all hours of the day and night.  We live in New York State.

They are about the size and shape of a chocolate sprinkle.

If you can offer any insight on what they are and the easiest way to get rid of them, it would be greatly appreciated.

~laura

Answer
Laura:

No apologies necessary....and the images are conclusive evidence, thank you for those.

The insects are "flour beetles," Tribolium sp.  As the name suggests, they infest flour and other grain products in the pantry.  Here are some links to help you figure out a plan of control:

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/urban/beetles/red_flour_beetle.htm

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/flour-beetle

http://www.pestid.msu.edu/insects-and-arthropods/flour-beetle/

As far as I know, the beetles pose no health threat, but I would not want to eat damaged food products, either.  You find them places other than the kitchen because adult insects tend to disperse themselves to find unrelated individuals to mate with, and additional food to infest.

Eric  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton