Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What is this bug/worm?

Question
Shower drain bug
Shower drain bug  
This creature crawled out of my shower floor drain.  The bug is 3 to 4 inches long, what is it?  Thank you.

Answer
Dear Raymond - This appears to be the mortal remains of a scolopendrid centipede, see http://tinyurl.com/j788qq5 for an example of an intact specimen. A specimen this size can inflict a painful but fortunately not dangerous bite if mishandled. While at Ft. Sam Houston in 1967, I was bitten on the back of my hand by a 4" centipede as I was attempting to transfer it from one container to another. The pain was sharp, severe, and immediate, and the bite site developed a wheal about the diameter of a half dollar. However, 24 hours later, it was difficult to discern the site of the bite.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad