Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Dead bugs found under bathroom sink

Question
Tiny brown bug
Tiny brown bug  
When cleaning under my daughters bathroom sink I found these tiny brown bugs already dead. They were on the cleaning wipe I was using to wipe under her sink. They are brown in color. We do have a dog in the house that takes a pill monthly for fleas & ticks. I was wondering if they were fleas that maybe had bitten her & we're looking for water because I think her pill kills them by dehydrating them. I know they're hard to see in the picture because they are so little bit can u tell me what u think they are?  Thank u!!

Answer
Hi, Jen:

The insects in your image are actually beetles of some kind, probably a "stored product pest" that has infested some kind of dry food in the pantry.  Most beetles fly well, so they can end up in places far from where they were as larvae.

I would try browsing the photo gallery at this link:

http://spiru.cgahr.ksu.edu/db/insect/search_results.asp

See if you don't find a match and then look up the scientific name with Google. My bet would be one of the "bark beetles" in the family Silvanidae, many of which are pests of stored grain.

Meanwhile, I would try and find their food source and discard the item.  No need for chemical treatments, especially in the kitchen where they could do more harm to your family and pets than the intended target.

Cheers,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton