Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Dead bugs found under bathroom sink

Tiny brown bug
Tiny brown bug  
When cleaning under my daughters bathroom sink I found these tiny brown bugs already dead. They were on the cleaning wipe I was using to wipe under her sink. They are brown in color. We do have a dog in the house that takes a pill monthly for fleas & ticks. I was wondering if they were fleas that maybe had bitten her & we're looking for water because I think her pill kills them by dehydrating them. I know they're hard to see in the picture because they are so little bit can u tell me what u think they are?  Thank u!!

Hi, Jen:

The insects in your image are actually beetles of some kind, probably a "stored product pest" that has infested some kind of dry food in the pantry.  Most beetles fly well, so they can end up in places far from where they were as larvae.

I would try browsing the photo gallery at this link:

See if you don't find a match and then look up the scientific name with Google. My bet would be one of the "bark beetles" in the family Silvanidae, many of which are pests of stored grain.

Meanwhile, I would try and find their food source and discard the item.  No need for chemical treatments, especially in the kitchen where they could do more harm to your family and pets than the intended target.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.