Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Hummingbird moth caterpillars

Question
HI Eric,
I found a large green Hummingbird moth caterpillar attached to my super bell flowers.  There were small pebble size droppings around my flower pot.  How can I keep them out and stop them from ruining my container flowers.  Please advise.

Answer
Melanie:

I do not dispense pest control advice.  I'm sure there is another AllExperts category for that in fact, but....

Simply picking off the caterpillars by hand when you see them (or signs of them as you describe with the droppings) is the best way because it is not that labor intensive, is inexpensive (free, in fact), and you can even give the caterpillar to a kid to raise to be a moth or something.  You might have the best luck going out after dark with a flashlight.  Most caterpillars and other insects feed at night and hide during the day.

I know it can take some doing to spot even a very large caterpillar on a small plant, but it is good exercise and I personally enjoy the challenge.  Just my two cents.

Cheers,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton