Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Mystery Bug

Question
Mystery Bug
Mystery Bug  

Mystery Bug
Mystery Bug  
I'm curious as to what this is.I found it on my garbage can yesterday afternoon approximately 3:00pm. I live in NW HICKORY NC CATAWBA County.. I hope you are able to open pics. I also have video of its movements. I did not see it fly and it moved in a "defensive manner" similar to a praying mantis maybe backing up and shifting left & right. It made me believe it might jump at me if I got too close so I didn't test the theory. I have never seen anything like this in my almost 50 years anywhere especially here.  Thank you for any info you may have.

Answer
Hi, Ann:

Thank you for including the nice images.

The insect is a nymph (immature, juvenile, "baby") Wheel Bug, a type of assassin bug in the family Reduviidae.  You might recognize the adult form:

http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2013/11/dinosaur-bug.html

Thank you for sharing your observations.  They can't jump, by the way, but are very alert to motion and respond accordingly.

Cheers,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton