Entomology (Study of Bugs)/pollinator ID

Question
QUESTION: Trying to find a field guide to native pollinators (not all insects) for Eastern NC (we're in NC). I have Kaufman's FG. Not just bees -- we want to learn about wasps and flies, too. Just ID on web a female Four-Toothed Mason wasp on our screened porch. Beautiful.

We have moths and butterfly books.

Thanks.

ANSWER: Hi, Jen:

Ironically, or at least coincidentally, I am the principal author of the Kaufman Guide you speak of.

I wish there were more books on pollinator identification.  I just produced a field guide to Common Bees & Wasps of Ohio that you can obtain free from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Wildlife, for free.  There is a great deal of overlap between Ohio and North Carolina in insect fauna, save for the coastal plain.

Heather Holm did a great self-published book on pollinators of the upper Midwest (Minnesota especially), and I highly recommend it, too.  Its title is Pollinators of Native Plants .

Lastly, the Xerces Society has a very good book, Attracting Native Pollinators .  Oh, and The Bees in Your Backyard , from Princeton University Press, is an exceptional reference to all North American bees.

Hope this helps.  Feel free to "like" "Bug Eric" on Facebook.  I frequently post about new books, websites, and other resources, as well as links to my blog, etc.  Wasps are my favorite insects so they get a good amount of my own press. :-)

Cheers,

Eric

QUESTION: Great to know that your guide to common bees and wasps in Ohio overlaps NC. We'll definitely request it. We've looked at the Xerces Society's book on Native Pollinators, but it doesn't fit our needs. Too much about bees and additional info (how to attract them and so on) that we already know, and not enough at all about wasps and flies -- even though they are considered "native pollinators."

Just our two cents.

Answer
Jen:

I looked for you on Facebook, but alas couldn't find you....

Keep an eye on Amazon and other booksellers for new titles.  Pollinators are a hot topic right now and there are sure to be more titles.

https://www.bioquip.com/

is another great place for all things entomology.

Lastly, are you familiar with Bugguide.net?  If not, check it out.  It is the most comprehensive online resource for North American insects and related organisms north of Mexico.  It has links to other sites, too, all reputable if not even academic.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton