Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Can u help me with identifying a bug please?

What is this???
What is this???  

What is this??
What is this??  
I have been suffering for about a year now from what I believe is a bug infestation to the point it's affecting my health & skin. I have taken pictures of these insects that are everywhere on the outside and inside of my home. I have called numerous exterminators &  have seen numerous doctors and cannot seem to get rid of them or find an answer to what is going on with my skin and why I feel like i have some sort of bug that has somehow gotten into my body. I have pictures and am hoping maybe you could help me figure out what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated I am at my wits end. Thank you, Shannon

Hello Shannon,

Thanks for your question and the photos. I am sorry to hear about your situation! I can tell you some things about the critter in the photos.

You have springtails (Collembola). You can read more about them here: They do not bite humans, however, so I am wondering if perhaps you also have something else in your home that is doing to biting.

There is a similar looking thing called a thrip that can bite humans. These are not dangerous. It is also possible you have fleas. I am not sure what you meant when you said you feel they have gotten into your body, but perhaps you are having a skin reaction/allergy to some of these. If you would like to have me look at more photos, please attach them to a follow-up question.

I hope this helps.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger

I can answer questions about invertebrates native to California, including insects commonly found in homes. If you have an identification request, please attach a photo to your question.

I was involved in collection and identification of invertebrates for the United States Geological Survey, Biological Resources Division for six years. Also, I provided these same services intermittently for the UC Davis John Muir Institute of the Environment for many years. I have been a member of since 2009.

Department of the Interior: United States Geological Survey, Davis Field Station; University of California, Davis Aggie Alumni Association; UC Davis Center for Neuroscience; U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs

I have two B.A.'s from the University of California, Davis and two Associate's degrees from Sacramento City College.

Special Thanks for Achieving Results award from the Department of the Interior