Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Unknow crawler

Hi my name is Rita I live in southern California and I was wondering if you can help identify this little bug. I found crawling on my counter top in the kitchen. It's more aboUT a pencil tip long brown with darker brown or black spots on back, with kind of a hard shell because I squished it and dragged it across the counter top and it was still able to stay alive. Didn't jump or fly and it definitely is not a household common cockroach. I am sending you a couple of pictures so that maybe hopefully you can help me out thank you so much for taking the time out to answer this question and have a good day.

Thank you for including the image.

Your creature is a an "ant-like flower beetle," family Anthicidae.  They are often attracted to lights at night and so sometimes appear indoors.  They are harmless, not food pests or anything.

So, no worries, just an uninvited guest. :-)

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.