Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Unknow crawler

Question
Bug
Bug  

Buggg
Buggg  
Hi my name is Rita I live in southern California and I was wondering if you can help identify this little bug. I found crawling on my counter top in the kitchen. It's more aboUT a pencil tip long brown with darker brown or black spots on back, with kind of a hard shell because I squished it and dragged it across the counter top and it was still able to stay alive. Didn't jump or fly and it definitely is not a household common cockroach. I am sending you a couple of pictures so that maybe hopefully you can help me out thank you so much for taking the time out to answer this question and have a good day.

Answer
Rita:

Thank you for including the image.

Your creature is a an "ant-like flower beetle," family Anthicidae.  They are often attracted to lights at night and so sometimes appear indoors.  They are harmless, not food pests or anything.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/27414

So, no worries, just an uninvited guest. :-)

Cheers,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton