Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Unknown bug


Unknown bug
Unknown bug  
I've seen two of these at my house, but don't know what it is. Can you help?

Hello Preston,

Thank you for your question and the clear photograph. You have earwigs (Dermaptera). They can look intimidating because of the large pincers, but they are harmless. They prefer dark, damp places and sometimes come inside buildings looking for moisture. Let me know if you have any more questions!


Entomology (Study of Bugs)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jessica Mellinger


I can answer questions about invertebrates native to California, including insects commonly found in homes. If you have an identification request, please attach a photo to your question.


I was involved in collection and identification of invertebrates for the United States Geological Survey, Biological Resources Division for six years. Also, I provided these same services intermittently for the UC Davis John Muir Institute of the Environment for many years. I have been a member of AllExperts.com since 2009.

Department of the Interior: United States Geological Survey, Davis Field Station; University of California, Davis Aggie Alumni Association; UC Davis Center for Neuroscience; U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs

I have two B.A.'s from the University of California, Davis and two Associate's degrees from Sacramento City College.

Awards and Honors
Special Thanks for Achieving Results award from the Department of the Interior

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.