Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What is this albino cockroach looking animal

Question
Pale cockroach 1
Pale cockroach 1  

Pale cockroach 2
Pale cockroach 2  
I live in Lexington, SC. Near Columbia, SC.
This critter (see photos) just appeared on my chair.
It was fleet of foot.
On its first flush, it swam, rather deftly.
I've never seen anything like it. Am I likely to see it again?

Answer
Hi, Janey:

Thank you for including the images with your question.

The insect is a longhorned beetle known as the "Ivory-marked Beetle," Eburia quadrigeminata . Here's more about it:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/2873

This is a harmless insect and I'm sorry you simply didn't release it back outdoors.  They are sometimes attracted to lights at night, and that is probably how it came to be inside your home.

They can also emerge from furniture, baseboards, and other milled lumber, years or even decades after construction or acquisition.  As a larva, the beetle tunnels in dead wood.  They do NOT re-infest objects they emerge from.

Hope this puts your mind at ease.

Sincerely,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton