Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Cockroach?

Question
Cockroach?
Cockroach?  
Our tenant says he found this "bug" in his suite.

Can you tell me what it is and how to deal with it.

Answer
Hi, Bill:

Yes, that is a German Cockroach, Blatella germanica .

You should seek a pest control professional who uses BAITS rather than sprays.  It should be a one-time bait treatment with no need for an ongoing contract.

Baits are more effective than sprays, but they do tend to take a bit longer to achieve desired results.  If you or the tenant insist on using over-the-counter baits, pay EXTREMELY close attention to the instructions on how to deploy them.  Some are not safe for pregnant women, for example.

Good luck.  A low population of cockroaches is not likely to be a health threat, but a large population can be mechanical carriers of Salmonella and other bacteria.  Roaches are also an asthma trigger for many people.

Good luck.

Sincerely,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton