Entomology (Study of Bugs)/cricket

Question
cricket
cricket  
I'm hoping you can tell me more about the type of cricket in this photo.  I tried searching the Internet but couldn't find photos with this distinct coloration.  I live in the Santa Cruz Mountains in California.  I found it in my garage at around noon.  Based on online descriptions of cricket vs. grasshopper, I concluded it was a cricket, but I don't really know.  Thanks in advance.

Answer
Hi, Matt:

Thank you for including the image with your question.  I can understand the confusion, this is something fairly unique.

The insect is a shield-backed katydid, family Tettioniidae, subfamily Tettigoniinae.  It may be in the genus Neduba , which includes several species, most of which are found only in isolated locations in California.  Here's more about them:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/40803

There are also some undescribed species I believe (species we know exist, but they have not received names or formal scientific descriptions yet).

Lastly, there are other genera of shield-backed katydids in California.  I don't know enough to be able to rule out one of those, either.  Your specimen may be an adult, or a nymph (juvenile, immature), in which case the youngsters are nearly impossible to identify because they lack adult characters necessary for ID (namely external genitalia).

Probably more information than you wanted to know, but there you go.

Hope you are enjoying the holiday weekend!

Sincerely,

Eric  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton