Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Feeding Brown Prionid

My children caught a very impressive brown prionid beetle, and they'd very much like to keep it for a while. What should we feed it?

Hi, Jacob:

The adult beetles in the Prioninae subfamily (family Cerambycidae) generally *don't* feed, or if so then it is on fermenting sap oozing from wounds in deciduous trees (in the eastern U.S.) or coniferous trees (western U.S.).  The adult beetles do not live long, so bear that in mind.  They emerge to find a mate (males) and mate and lay eggs (females).

Have a wonderful holiday weekend!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.