Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Green Eyed Wasp

Green Eyed Wasp
Green Eyed Wasp  

Nests built overnight
Nests built overnight  
Hi I got your name from the Insect Identification Group on Facebook, they told me the "mystery bee" that has built multiple nests in front of our office in just a few days is called the green eyed wasp. We are just curious if these are aggressive wasps or if they sting. We have to walk through them everyday because they are right outside our office door. We don't want to disturb them if they won't sting but also curious if they keep multiplying or eventually leave on their own! Hate to call an exterminator if not necessary.

Thanks so much!

I was expecting from the written description (which I get in e-mail) that you probably misidentified the wasp, but no, you are correct.  These are solitary wasps in the genus Tachytes .  Being solitary, there is no risk of being stung unless you step on one barefoot or physically grab one.  Good luck with that, they are very alert and will fly off long before you get close.  Here's more about them:

They finish their nests in a matter of days, a week or two at maximum.  Simply carry on as usual with your coming and going from your office.  It would be polite not to step on their nest excavations, though, as they use subtle landmarks to find them again.

Thank you for your question.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.