Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Insect ID

Question
Insect 01
Insect 01  

Insect 02
Insect 02  
Could you please tell me what the insect in the attached image is. We have now found two, both on the balcony. Somehow they are getting through the fly screens. They seem to have a very hard carapace(?) and were extremely difficult to kill. We didn't want to touch them just in case they had a sting. To possibly help with identification, we are located in Wuzhishan, a town in the centre of Hainan island in China. It's almost rainforest climate and our apartment backs on to a rive. With thanks in advance - Bob

Answer
Bob:

Thank you for including the images with your question.

These *are* wasps, called "ensign wasps," but they do not sting.  You will want to keep them around after reading this:

http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2010/09/wasp-wednesday-evaniidae.html

So, no worries.

Cheers,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton