Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Mimicry and bioluminascence

Question
Dear Ed,

I got anther question concerning the glowworm Arachnocampa luminosa. The purpose of its bioluminescence is to attract other smaller insects to come close and then become its food. Right? But to human eyes, the glowing of this bug looks so much alike to the starry night. Under this case, can we say that this bioluminescence is a sort of mimicry???

Also,could you tell me what is the exact meaning of Arachnocampa? Arach- means spider in Latin, right? But how about -campa? Isn't it an inflection of the Latin word campus? Which then means field.

Why would any one wanna name a sort of bug "spider field"?

Thank you so much. Really.
Wish you well and a fantastic day!!
Johnnie

Answer
Dear Johnnie - Although others have commented on the similarity between the glowworm's bioluminescent display and a clear starry night, I suspect that that this is more coincidence rather than true mimicry. As for the etymology of the scientific name, see http://tinyurl.com/haqhbhh for the following: The species originally was described as Bolitiphila luminosa in 1890 (Skuse, F. A. A. 1890: Description of  a luminous diptcrous insect  (Fam. Mytctophilidae), from Ncw Zealand.  Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales (second series) 5: 677-679. ), before being renamed Arachnocampa luminosa in 1924 (Edwards, F. W. 1924: A note on the "New Zealand glow-worm" (Diptera: Mycetophilidae). Annals and  magazine of natural history (9)14: 175-1 79). Edwards reportedly chose the name Arachnocampa because of the “spider-like habit of the larva, forming webs and using them for the capture of insect prey.” Its Māori name is titiwai, meaning "projected over water". See http://tinyurl.com/h8a2fwv and http://tinyurl.com/jmfwxtu for more information.
Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad