Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Mystery home bug that sting

Unknown home bug
Unknown home bug  

We are finding a large number of this insect in our house and a large population in the laptop as well! They are in the bedrooms now. When trying to kill them by just squeezing one of them they left blood traces which made us conclude that they feed on human blood.

My mother is suspecting that they came from where she stayed last month as she was in visit to a meditrainian country.

I attached a picture which I took with a mgnifier as they are very tiny.

Please help me to identify and what to do to treat them.

Thank you

Dear Shahad - Your image is not clear enough for me to be certain, but it could be a bird or rodent mite - see and for examples. These mites will bite people in the absence of their normal hosts, but they are more of a nuisance than anything of medical importance. See for more detailed information including control recommendations. Although this is an Australian site, these mites occur world-wide, so the advice found therein would apply anywhere. If you decide that you require professional assistance, you can use the following site to locate a professional pest control company in your area:

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.