Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Teeny tiny bees

Can you tell me anything about these teeny tiny bees that bother us every evening when we sit on our patio?  I've heard they can sting if it's forced to by accidentally laying your arm on one, etc.  We live in east central Illinois and it is the end of July.  Any idea how long they will stick around?

Hi Celeste
Since I have not seen one of these I am not even sure that they are bees. The fact that none of them have bitten you tells me they are harmless. Since I do not know what they are I cannot tell you how long they will hang around.  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ