Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Unknown bug in bedroom

Question
Unknown Pennsylvania Bug
Unknown Pennsylvania B  
I recently returned to Pennsylvania and am staying in my childhood bedroom which is not typically used. Since being home, I've noticed a number of bugs (all the same kind) in my bedroom. They are very adept at both crawling and flying, and they don't seem to fear humans very much.

They seem especially attracted to the light affixed to my ceiling fan and although I caught all the ones I could, after leaving the light on with no windows open more were able to come from somewhere. They don't seem to be in any other rooms of the house. I am also wondering if they could be coming through the ceiling fan down into the room, as I closed the other vents and windows after removing them the first time.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Answer
Dear Monica - If the other insects you are seeing in the room are the same as this one, you have nothing to worry about. It is a ground beetle (Coleoptera: Carabidae), and ones like yours are general predators on other small invertebrates, mainly other insects, and thus often considered beneficial.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad