Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug ID - mites?

Side view
Side view  

Close up
Close up  
Had some friends over last weekend and their dog took a dip in my pool. Right after, there were these little black things floating around and I've been trying to figure out what they are. They look similar to bird mites or cheyletiella mites and my dog has been feeling a bit itchy since they were here and the vet noticed some inflammation in his ear, which led me to this assumption.  I brought a couple of the little buggers to the vet and he said he couldn't identify them. I submitted this on another website as well and I was told they were minute pirate bugs but they don't look like them to me. I also don't think these things fly nor do I see wings on them.

I have a few pictures although it is hard to get a clear shot because they are pretty small.  The first pic is a side view.  I put a knee high in my skimmer that caught a bunch of them, most seem dead but some are crawling around like the one in the side view.

Hi, Maria:

Thanks to the images you sent, I can tell you exactly what they are....

These are lace bugs in the family Tingidae, genus Corythucha .  Here is more:

They are not normally pests, but sometimes have population explosions. The dog probably walked through shrubs that were covered in these insects.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.