Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Hawkmoth / Sphinx caterpillar?

OBX caterpillar
OBX caterpillar  
Hi - I'd be very grateful for help in identifying this caterpillar, found crawling across a sand dune leaving these distinctive tracks, in the Outer Banks, North Carolina. Seen August 18. Thank you

I am sorry, but I am not very good with caterpillars.  From the looks of it, it is *not* a sphinx moth caterpillar.  Not all of them have a horn on the rear end, but this one does not seem to fit with those that don't.

The folks here might be able to help you:

There is also Dave Wagner, who literally wrote the book on caterpillars of the eastern U.S.

Good luck.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.