Entomology (Study of Bugs)/identity (SINISTER looking creature)

Wasp image
Wasp image  

Thanks for the website.  I think that the image I uploaded is an American Pelecinid Wasp.  It was quite dangerous looking until I found out what benefit it performs in helping to control grubs.

If you can use the image I uploaded please feel free to use it.  However, if you believe that it is not an American Pelecinid Wasp, then please let me know what else you think it might be.

Unfortunately, part of the 'stinger' was broken off while trying to corral this wasp.  Most of the appendage--as it connects underneath the body--remains.  This was most likely a juvenile male.

Thank you for including the image with your question.

First of all, a "juvenile" wasp is called an egg, larva, or pupa.  Once you can identify it as a wasp, it is an adult.  It will not get any bigger, or change form again.  I don't mean to sound condescending, many people don't understand that concept.  For example, a smaller species of lady beetle is interpreted as a "baby" lady beetle, when in reality it is a species the person is simply not familiar with.

Ok, on to the wasp.  The wasp in your image is an "ensign wasp," specifically the Cockroach Egg Parasite Wasp, Evania appendigaster .  Here is my blog post on that one:

So, besides the fact that these wasps do not sting, either, they are free-of-charge pest control agents against cockroaches.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.