Entomology (Study of Bugs)/identity (SINISTER looking creature)

Question
Wasp image
Wasp image  
Eric,

Thanks for the website.  I think that the image I uploaded is an American Pelecinid Wasp.  It was quite dangerous looking until I found out what benefit it performs in helping to control grubs.

If you can use the image I uploaded please feel free to use it.  However, if you believe that it is not an American Pelecinid Wasp, then please let me know what else you think it might be.

Unfortunately, part of the 'stinger' was broken off while trying to corral this wasp.  Most of the appendage--as it connects underneath the body--remains.  This was most likely a juvenile male.

Thanks,

T

Answer
T:

Thank you for including the image with your question.

First of all, a "juvenile" wasp is called an egg, larva, or pupa.  Once you can identify it as a wasp, it is an adult.  It will not get any bigger, or change form again.  I don't mean to sound condescending, many people don't understand that concept.  For example, a smaller species of lady beetle is interpreted as a "baby" lady beetle, when in reality it is a species the person is simply not familiar with.

Ok, on to the wasp.  The wasp in your image is an "ensign wasp," specifically the Cockroach Egg Parasite Wasp, Evania appendigaster .  Here is my blog post on that one:

http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2010/09/wasp-wednesday-evaniidae.html

So, besides the fact that these wasps do not sting, either, they are free-of-charge pest control agents against cockroaches.

Cheers,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton