Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What kind of bug is this?

house bug
house bug  
Could you please identify what type of bug this is? We found it, and several of its friends and family on our bedroom carpet, and in the living room. The wife is ready to put the whole house in a bag and start wearing a hazmat suit. Thank you.

The insect in the images is either a Drugstore Beetle or Cigarette Beetle.  They are a classic "stored product pest" of many items found in the average pantry.  Here's more about them:

Pantry Pests in general:

You should find the infested item(s) and discard it(them). No need for pesticides or anything.  Sometimes a product is infested *before* you buy it, and there isn't much you can do.  Storing all vulnerable foodstuffs in glass, metal, or durable plastic containers with tight-fitting lids can prevent infestations, and/or contain existing ones.  Boxes and cellophane offer little resistance to hungry insects.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.