Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Large Pollen Foraging Insect

Today I was near my butterfly bush and observed a large, flying insect which I initially thought was a humming bird, but it was not quite that big. It had a green body and a long proboscis (perhaps 2.5 - 3") in length. It had 2 very long front legs, which it used to brace itself on each flower as it was gathering pollen/nectar. The rear of this insect looked almost like a lobster tail. Would you please tell me what it is?

Hi Bill
You did not include a photo but from your description none is needed. You have described perfectly the Hummingbird moth. It is one of the Hawk moths from the Genus Hemaris. I suspect this may be H. thysbe. These beautiful insects come in many colors and patterns and are found all over the US.
   Google hummingbbird moths and see if this is correct

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ