Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Small black bug found under laundry

Small pill shaped bug
Small pill shaped bug  
My apartment has different bugs. Just trying to identify whether or not I have to worry about this bug in particular. Someone had mentioned bed bug although we do not have bites or shedding near the beds. We also live near a farmers field and I know we have what the bug guy called "springtails." This bug is dark brown with a redlike tint and is shiny on the back side. It looks like it has "feelers". On it's head.

This is not a bed bug, see for comparison. This looks like the black carpet beetle (see which are very common in homes and usually no reason for concern. The bulletin from Penn State explains control options.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology