Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Is this a bed bug?

Question
bug
bug  
Hello,

We stayed somewhere months ago and returned home with bites. We noticed more the day after returning home. Assuming they may be bed bugs, we took all possible precautions short of calling in a PCO. Today, I found this dead bug amongst my things after doing a big overhaul of the bedroom I stay in.

Please note that I have lightened the photo to see more detail - the bug is nearly black in real life.

Is it a dead bed bug?
Many thanks!

Answer
Dear Kay - This is not a bed bug. It is a beetle in the family Dermestidae (carpet/hide/skin/larder beetles, etc.). It appears to be in the genus Attagenus (black carpet beetles and allies). See http://tinyurl.com/pvgfq3 for a fact sheet that includes control recommendations.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad