Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Black bug??

black bug
black bug  
dead black bugs
dead black bugs  
I have this bug occasionally in my apartment. Usually crawling on the wall or on my carpet. I went on vacation and when I came home I found dead ones all along the baseboards of every room in my apartment. Pic attached. I then caught two more and put in a baggie so my landlord took to an exterminator but said he didn't know what they were. Can you tell me what these are?

Really, really difficult to discern much from your images.

My best guess is that they are spider beetles in the genus Gibbium .  Here's a bit about them:

They are generally at most a nuisance, and most often found in old buildings.

spider beetle?
spider beetle?  

soider beetle?
soider beetle?  
QUESTION: Hi-I found another one this morning and tried to take a clearer pic for you but I do believe you are right that it's a spider beetle.

Thanks.  Yeah, *still* tough to discern....You might want to take a specimen or two to a local entomologist for confirmation.  You can try a natural history museum, university, state department of agriculture, or even public health department (vector control will have at least one staff entomologist).  He or she can then put it under a microscope and render a more informed verdict than I can via the internet.

Large cities are often ports of entry for exotic pests, so it might not hurt to get this checked out.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.