Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug found on wall

Question
Bug
Bug  
I found a small bug crawling on the wall next to my bed this morning at about 7:30 AM, well after the sun was up. It doesn't look like a bed bug to me, but the close proximity to my mattress has me very worried. Picked it up and let it crawl on me to get a better picture

Answer
Tim:

Thank you for including the image, but unfortunately I cannot tell exactly what it is.  It could still be a bed bug nymph (juvenile, immature, "baby"), but I cannot be sure.  Here is my bed bug primer, which might help you determine whether you *might* have bed bugs:

http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2014/04/a-bed-bug-primer.html

Otherwise, I would take the specimen (or the next one if you no longer have this one) to a local entomologist at a university (Penn State has an entomology department, for instance), natural history museum (Philadelphia Academy of Sciences), or even the public health department (vector control division will have at least one staff entomologist). He or she can then put the critter under a microscope and render a more valid verdict than I can over the internet.

I would not be panic-stricken, but I would inspect for signs of bed bugs just to be on the safe side.  Remember plenty of other kinds of insects find their way indoors anyway, and the overwhelming majority are *not* pests of any kind.

Cheers,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton