Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug identification

Can you tell me what this is ? I found several crawling around house at various times in the day. They appear to only crawl slowly, are quite small & black. I am in SW Florida, by the coast.  Thanks much.

The insect in your image is a weevil.  Weevils are a type of beetle, and there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of species in North America.

Given your description, and the fact they were indoors, my bet is a granary weevil:

You may want to check vulnerable items for potential infestation, especially birdseed, as they seem to gravitate toward that.  Simply discard infested items.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.