Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug identification

Question
close up
close up  

zoomed out
zoomed out  
I live in Pennsylvania and found this bug crawling on the floor on my yoga mat around night time. I am worried it is a bed bug since I live in a large apartment building. I have tried squashing the bug but it still unfortunately lives. Can you please help me identify this bug? Thank you in advance!

Answer
Hi, Samantha:

Thank you for including the images.

Your insect is NOT a bed bug, but some kind of grain-infesting beetle, likely in the family Silvanidae:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/13072

Without putting your specimen under a microscope, I cannot tell you which one it is.  Suffice to say that you may want to check the pantry for potentially infested items, though if you have only seen one, it may simply have flown indoors from elsewhere.

Store all vulnerable foodstuffs, including dry pet food and birdseed, in glass, metal, or durable plastic containers with tight-fitting lids.  Cardboard boxes and cellophane bags offer no barrier to insects.

So rest easy.  Do be wary of accidentally bringing bed bugs home with you when you travel.  Here is my "Bed Bug Primer" from my blog:

http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2014/04/a-bed-bug-primer.html

Take care.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton