Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug identify?

close up
close up  

ceiling bug
ceiling bug  
I found this bug nestled in my ceiling in my living room. I've never seen it before. Any idea what it could be?

Hi, Jay:

The insect in your images is either a Drugstore Beetle or Cigarette Beetle.  They are very similar and it takes at least a high resolution image (or better yet a specimen) to tell them apart.  Despite their names they are mostly pests of things other than tobacco and drugs:

Pantry Pests in general:

It is usually a matter of finding the infested item and discarding it.  Store vulnerable foodstuffs, including dry pet food, in metal, glass, or durable plastic containers with tight-fitting lids to prevent future infestations (or to contain infestations that occurred prior to purchase of a product).

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.