Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Is this a carpet beetle?

Question
Casing
Casing  
QUESTION: I found this casing in an old wood dresser that I bought from an antique store. Obviously a little freaked that it could be bed bugs, but it looks like pictures I've seen of carpet beetle casings. I also caught a live bug overnight on a strip of tape I laid down in front of the dresser. I don't have a picture but it was black, and similar in size/shape to the casing attached

ANSWER: Tim:

You are correct, this belongs to a carpet beetle.  The correct term is "molt" or "exuvium," as it represents the cast-off exoskeleton of the animal.

Carpet beetles (Dermestidae) are found in most homes.  Here's more about them:

http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2014/10/carpet-beetles-genus-anthrenus.html

http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2014/11/black-carpet-beetles-attagenus-spp.html

Eric

Bug found in car
Bug found in car  
QUESTION: Thanks so much! I found this on my shorts this morning as I was getting in the car (which I used to transport the dresser). It looks pretty similar to the one I found on the tape yesterday. Is this a carpet beetle? It looks like it has wings, which I understand carpet beetles don't have?

Answer
Tim:

Carpet beetles most definitely *do* have wings, and they fly very well in fact.

The insect in your image appears to be some other kind of beetle, possibly a soft-winged flower beetle, family Melyridae, subfamily Dasytinae:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/71561

They are of no economic importance whatsoever.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton