Entomology (Study of Bugs)/The exterminator is telling me this is a flea

Question
Tiny bug
Tiny bug  
Size
Size  
QUESTION: Help!

Not sure what I'm dealing with here...6 weeks ago I found a couple of this kind of bugs in my house. One was on my hand and it bit me and left a mark. We have been bitten during the night too. The exterminator said it was fleas, we have 2 dogs but I have only seen one flea during this 6 weeks. Nothing comes in my flea traps either. I asked a veterinarian too and he said it might be a lice. This is driving me crazy. Im washing and cleaning non stop.

Hope you can help us.

Thanks

Pia

ANSWER: Pia,

This is not a flea (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/fleas.html for comparison) but the photos are too blurry to id. Can you get a clearer photo? Also, how large is the gold-colored disk in the second photo?

Jack DeAngelis

Scaled up bug
Scaled up bug  
QUESTION: Thank you for your answer, Jack. Attached is hopefully a better picture. The diameter of the disk is 3/8".

Answer
This looks like a beetle because of the split elytra but again I can't see much detail. Beetles are harmless so there's no reason to over-react with insecticide treatments or excessive cleaning. Your best option is to collect a specimen and contact your local Cooperative Extension office where someone will be able to examine it under magnification.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis